Friday, April 27, 2012

Dangerous Games Night - 26th April 2012

Cosmic Encounter, one of my oldest games, played like crazy when I was a Student when we only had a few games to choose from. Recently it's faded off the radar, the fault lies with the 2000 Avalon version,
2000 Mayfair Version - Boo
awkward stacking pieces, poor character selection, only four players and no extension packs all led to it being played less and less. Even when we played it, somehow the magic of cosmic was lost.

My original Mayfair version, with every extension going was overly complicated for casual gamers, and I never wanted to introduce newbies to it, so it lay in the loft, replaced by the newer, less enjoyable Avalon Version. I'd assumed it was due to Cosmic just not appealing to us anymore. So it was with trepidation that I picked up the most recent version from Fantasy Flight - in fact, if not for the discount I got, I have in the past refused to pay 40 GBP for a game I've already bought twice before.

Am I glad I did.

DGN start with cosmic for four players. We have all played it loads before, but it had been a while. Once we'd establish the new rewards and technologies we were back into having a laugh. Once concern of mine can be that each game can go on too long, it's better if it just lasts for the hour. In an unusual turn of events at the end I was really keen to start again, knowing how different each game can be. Next game, with Tick Tock, we had an even bigger laugh, even though we knew Sean would win, we battled hard and almost managed to stop time running out. A good time was had by all, and good for Sean to win both times. 

Next up was Louis XIV:


A favourite of ours, but neglected recently due to the rules being forgotten and the previous game we had was awkward and slow and we had to refer to the rules. Some time was spent in the afternoon to suss the rules out and it made a huge difference. The game isn't that difficult, it can just be a challenge to remember some of the smaller rules. I enjoyed the session, a clever game, and would like to get it out soon - as we say with every game. Wiped everyone out, and won by a mile.


Closed the evening with a games we've played quite a bit since I got it this month - Santiago de Cuba - or unfairly I think 'Cuba Light'.

It's got the same theme, drawings and it uses tobacco and rum, but I would draw the line there. It's a different game altogether and shouldn't be compared to Cuba. It's light, quick, random set up each time leads to different game experiences.

I won!



Another successful, enjoyable games night. Roll on next Thursday when we plan to bring out Game of Thrones for it's second play - I hope it works well, and doesn't last too long.

No comments: